Monday, December 6, 2010

Bibles for Peru

The following was shared by Tracy at the Peru benefit concert:


Library day at school was always an exciting day for me. While I think most kids look forward to library day, I don't know that all of those library books are actually read. In fact, sometimes those books are lost and have to be replaced - as my family has experienced!

In the orphanage in Ventanilla there are 20 copies of one book. This book is so popular that it is never on the shelf, never lost and never dusty! The book I refer to is the Bible.

The kids must sign out the Bible. They love to read it and they have never before been able to do that. Because of the generosity of a Sunday school class here at Southmont they can.

The children have also been given Proclaimers. These are audio Bibles that don't require electricity or batteries. Quechu, Spanish & English are the versions they currently have. You just wind them up and play.

Often when casa's misbehave, they are put under restriction. Lauren Robertson tells the story of a group of kids confined to their casa for misbehaving. They had nothing to do! What do you think they did? That's right! They listened to their proclaimer. All of it! They must have gotten into pretty big trouble!

I believe that the children are quickly learning to love the Bible. I can understand why. Can you imagine reading the story of David and Goliath for the first time? They can relate! They are David and the life they face each day is Goliath.

The loneliness they feel from losing parents to death or abandonment is probably similar to the loneliness Jonah felt in the belly of the whale!

How exciting it is for them to read about a Father who loves them and will never leave them!

They love these stories because they know they are true. The Holy Spirit tugs at them and tugs on their hearts with every word.

I wonder how many of the kids pray for their own Bible. I believe God will say yes to this request. If we become a part of this blessing I know in heaven we will meet these kids - orphans no more. And they will say "thank you." I received my first Bible because you said yes and gave me that precious gift.

We are still collecting money for Bibles for the children at the orphanage. If you are interested in making a donation it may be sent to Southmont Baptist Church at 2801 Pennsylvania Drive, Denton, TX 76205. Please designate "Peru Bibles" on your check.

No comments:

Post a Comment