It does not seem possible that we have been here in Peru almost one week. The last two days at the orphanage have just flown by and we have seen miraculous things occur. There is so much evidence that the Holy Spirit has been working 24∕ 7 not just at the orphanage in the part of Ventanilla by the orphanage. Many children and teenagers, as well as adults, accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior this week.
This afternoon the residents of the orphanage gathered to say goodbye to the U.S. friends they have made this week and to those who became friends last year. The orphanage band played spicy Latin beats and children and adults crowded the floor to dance. When the time came to say goodbye the children ran to the workers with plenty of hugs and kisses to last till the next time they see us. It was a time of joy and sadness all wrapped up into one. It was a joy because we knew that so many of them came to know how much Jesus loves them. They learned all week long that there is nothing they can do that will make Jesus stop loving them. They learned that Jesus Christ died to pay for the sins of those who accept Him and love Him, and that getting into heaven is not dependent never sinning or doing good works.
The sad part was saying goodbye to the children that we grew so close to during the week.
From the time I made the decision to be a part of the Mission Peru Team I knew that God had a purpose for my coming here. I just did not know for sure what that purpose was. I had been telling stories to the 3 to 5 year old girls and boys and the 6 to 9 year old boys and girls. It had been a good week, with good responses from them. But it still did not feel like that was God´s purpose for me coming. Then on Thursday, as I was leaving the 6 to 9 girls house, a little girl came to the door with so many questions she wanted to ask me. I answered a few, but I had to go to talk to the next group. When I was finished with the next group I went back to the area where we gathered for activities. I turned around and saw her standing there wanting to talk with me some more. She is 9 years old with no family that comes to see her. She had so many questions about sin, salvation, Jesus, fear, lonliness, and her situation. We spoke for about 20 minutes and I tried to answer her questions. I shared the plan of salvation with her and she accepted Jesus Christ as her Savior. When she left she had a huge smile on her face. I saw and spoke with several times today and each time she had the biggest smile she had had all week. She and another girl danced to the music of the band. She and the other children gave me some many hugs and kisses that they almost knocked me to the floor. All of them called me “Abuelita Irma˝, which means “Granny Irma.“ I knew then that God had brought me here for this one little girl. But God had someone else he wanted me to talk to. He was a 14 year old boy who was a helper in the 6 to 9 year old class. He had been listening attentively all week. As I was leaving the house Beth Baldor told me that she noticed that he was sort of crying during the story and that I should speak to him. I asked him to come outside. I asked him if he understood the plan of salvation. He said that he did, but that he could not go to heaven because he had done something very bad … he had stolen some money and he felt very guilty. He was so sorry he had done it, but now, he felt, he had messed up his chance of going to heaven. We spoke again about the plan of salvation, but on a very personal level for him. I told him to put the money in an envelope, write a note saying that he had stolen the money and was very sorry, and that he was returning it. (no signature.) Then I told him to ask God to forgive him and to give him the strength to resist Satan´s temptations in the future. He had not really understood the plan of salvation before, but he said he did after our talk. He said he felt like a ton of bricks had been lifted off his shoulders. Then he gave me the biggest hug he could. I realized that God did not bring me to Peru just because I speak Spanish. He brought me because He had picked the very specific children with whom He wanted me to share the difference that accepting God as their Savior could make in their lives! There are other team members who had different, but wonderful experiences with the children and adults at the orphanage.
Great things also happened with the people in the town of Ventanilla. There were activities for children of all ages. Adults and children alike received salvation bracelets and other items to take home. Each day Juan Baldor shared with them what it meant to accept Jesus as Savior. The highlight of the week occurred on Friday. A limited number of Spanish Bibles were being handed out to those who wanted one. Children, women, and men of all ages were excited to get a Bible. Some of the people opened their Bible as soon as they got one and started reading them. This year was the first year that the team went outside the orphanage. The people played and got to take home goodies and refreshments. But was most important was that they stayed and heard the story of Jesus! For most of them, that was the first time they had heard it. We believe that this was just seeds that were planted for a wonderful and bountiful harvest in the years to come.
God did indeed had a very special purpose for each of us who came to Peru this year. I am sure that we all fulfilled it. Some of did and did not really know what it was. I, for one, know that I discovered what that purpose was for me. Praise God for His wonderful love, patience, and wisdom!
Irma Teniente
Check next blog for more pictures
No comments:
Post a Comment