Saturday, January 16, 2010

Construction Update - Brian's Story

The following was written by Brian, after our return from the trip:

When the opportunity arose for a potential trip to Peru I told Lisa two things:

1. I will not be going.

2. Do not bring back an orphan.

When she wrote back about the need to complete the school, I was hooked. I immediately wrote back inquiring as to the type of construction, tools needed, etc. As I began to understand and see the big picture, I soon realized that a few men working 7-8 hours per day, on a "foreign" type of construction, would not go very far in completing the school by the deadline required for government funding. As the story continued to unfold we found out that tools would probably not make it through customs if they thought "non-Peruvians" planned on using them. We also found out that the government did not look favorably on outsiders doing work that could be completed by their own people. (foreign prisons have never appealed to me). It also made sense that in a country where a doctor earns $600 per month, that an army of construction workers could be purchased cheaply and they indeed could finish the work on time.

After the story was shared and the money began to be given towards the school, Lisa exchanged many e-mails with Miguel through an intermediary regarding how much money he needed, when he needed it, and exactly what it would be used for. I'm sure that many in the church and in your Bible Study classes will be asking about the school and if Miguel has been a good steward with the money that we sent him. I know this was important to me. Based on the following facts, I believe with full confidence and knowledge that Miguel is a man of integrity, and has indeed used every penny as he promised and is exactly on schedule as per the communications back and forth between he and Lisa. I will try to briefly summarize the communications below.

When Lisa was in Peru in October she asked Miguel how much money was needed to complete the school. He said $35k. In her pictures that she took on that trip the school minus the second floor can be seen. She spoke to the church on the morning of November 8th. 15K came in that day. It was wired and in Miguels possession on November 16th. One of Lisa's clients also sent 5k in this time frame. Southmont sent another $3650 in the first week of December. After the benefit concert, another $10,750 was sent on December 22nd. Another source sent $2600. This totals (if you are not adding) 37k. That is 2k more that he originally asked for. When we had figured out how foolish it would be for Miguel to wait on our men to work on the school in any major way Lisa had asked Miguel what it would cost to get laborors to accomplish the tasks that we would be unable to complete. He said 2k. ( I would charge more that 2k to move the sand moved by tres amigos gringos). They needed 37k and God led people to give 37k. Wow!



Was the money used wisely? In an e-mail from November 16th the following info is shared. "Preparation work is beginning today for installing columns and beams. He expects to complete the main construction work by late December." This was accomplished. Another e-mail on December 9th states the following: "Construcion progress. Miguel advised that all the framework is done, he will pour the roof this week and expects to be retrieving the forms by the time you arrive. Then he will work with the covering of walls and finish work." This also was accurate. The day we arrived they began removing forms from approximately 1/3 of the structure. They then used the sand we hauled and mixed it with concrete and finished the ceilings and finshed out the columns. We removed the forms from another 1/3 of the structure. I was concerned when the supervisor brought hard hats to us while we were removing the forms. I stood by the doorway so I could get help in the event the roof collapsed on Tony and Dick. (just kidding, but I did tell Dick that he had lived a long and good life) As I tried to determine why I travelled 3500 miles, paid for the trip, paid for additional help to cover my hours at work (yes, I actually do a little around there) and found myself moving 5 gallon buckets of sand (2.5 gallons by the end of the day) I realized several things. I was privileged to work beside two of the finest men I have ever known (fellowship).
I also realized that our willingness to do such a laborious, yet simple task would indeed earn the respect of the locals working on the job. They were not too excited to see us when we arrived and I think suggested that we move sand as a vehicle to run us off. (Tony and Dick would not allow me to leave). We also removed their subfloor used in concreting the ceilings and cleaned the forms for them. By this time they had warmed to us and we were able to share with them that our church had collected the money for the completion of the school. A young boy that we befriended on the site was actually the son of the owner of the construction company. He does not live at the orphanage, but does attend the school. This owner has a vested interest in completing the school. We asked them if they thought is was possible to complete the school by the end of January. They shared that this week and next will complete the concrete work. They will have 8 days to hang the lights (easy), install the doors (easy) lay ceramic tile and install handrails (not easy, but doable). Chino (supervisor) assured us that he will complete this job on time. Interesting note: Chino was at the fiesta celebration Friday afternoon and was all smiles towards us.





I am certain that the school will be finished on time and will pass inspection.


While my role in the school was ridiculously simple, I am so glad that God allowed me to go. We serve an awesome God! I will forever cherish the memories and the miracles of this trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment