Friday, January 22, 2010

Susan's Story

There are so many special times we all shared while at Hogar Sagrada Familia Orphanage. It’s hard to choose just one. So I’m choosing two…

At one of our Peru planning meetings, Lisa asked for ideas for activities for Friday. She mentioned that the kids loved temporary tattoos. I told the group that since I had quite a lot of temporary tattoos at home for my grandson, I would be happy to do that activity. So I purchased some additional tattoos and spent several hours cutting apart and sorting them to make things easier when we arrived. To say that our plans were “liquid” while at the orphanage would be a major understatement. They changed, daily, hourly, sometimes minute by minute. But always the change was good and was a far better plan than we could ever have hoped to conceive. Talk about God being in the details! Not long after we arrived we realized that our Friday “plan” was not going to happen. So I just assumed I would not be using the tattoos and would leave them there for the teachers. Then one evening at the hotel as we were working on one of the craft projects for the next day, Amy and I were talking about the tattoos and not being able to use them. After a brief discussion she decided to modify the craft project and incorporate the tattoos in the activity for the day. It turned out to be a terrific decision.


The next day it was all available hands on deck to apply the tattoos. What a blessing that was! Quite a few in our group were able to hold the hands and touch the faces of those precious children as we applied the temporary tattoos. I was lucky enough to be able to participate in that activity. As we applied the tattoos some of the children who spoke English enjoyed practicing their skills by having a conversation with you. And then others just enjoyed the attention - their smiles were incredible! That is something none of us will ever forget!


But my favorite moment of the trip was our last day in the Baby House. On Monday, Lyn and I, along with our interpreter for the day, Hiroshi, went to the Baby House, our “planned” primary assignment for the week. I don’t think the house parent, Olinda, was expecting us. She seemed a little confused and definitely cautious as she agreed to let us work there. During the rest of that day and the first part of the next day, she continued to be very gracious but guarded towards us. By the end of the second day, she was smiling more and seemed to accept our being there. On Wednesday she was completely at ease, laughing with us, and was able to be her adorable self around the children again. There are typically 30-35 children living in the baby house. She had several of the older girls to help her every day, but Olinda was incredible. She played chase with them, stood on her head to entertain them, sang songs, and was completely loving and joyous. I was humbled and privileged to be part of their world for those few days.




On Friday morning, Lyn had gone to one of the casas to share with some of the girls and I stayed at the Baby House with Olinda, the children and our adorable interpreter Roxana. As I was preparing to leave I asked Roxana to translate something to Olinda. I expressed to Olinda how much I admired her and what she did every day, and how honored I was to have been able to work with her. She told me thank you for coming to work in the Baby House and for loving the children. Both of us had tears in our eyes. Then she took my hands in hers and said “You will be back…” She was right…

No comments:

Post a Comment